Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine Program
The Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Program at the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute brings together a multi-disciplinary team of biologists, bioengineers, clinicians and materials science engineers to work towards engineering of glandular tissues/organs. This program has mainly focused on regeneration of the salivary glands but aims to expand toward engineering of other glandular tissues. The Salivary Group constitutes a multi-institutional team that includes the researchers at the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute, the University of Delaware (UD), Rice University / Bioscience Research Collaborative (BRC), National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR), University of Michigan, and the Alleghany Health Network (AHN). Our salivary gland work is funded by a multi-institutional R01 from the National Institutes of Health.
- Using biomedical engineering principles to study and recreate organ systems from the molecular and cellular level.
- Studying the behavior of isolated primary/progenitor cells in 3D biomimetic material scaffolds by dialing in unique biological cues.
- Evaluate surgical protocols to determine the best techniques to implant a neo-tissue/organ that can be functional in an animal model.
Current Research Areas
- Functional restoration of salivary glands to relieve xerostomia.
- Regeneration of the lacrimal glands and the conjunctiva.
- Reconstitution of eccrine, apocrine and sebaceous glands for incorporation in reconstructed skin.
- Generating 3D models of normal mammary spheroids from isolated primary/progenitor cells for use in in vitro studies.
Swati Pradhan-Bhatt, Ph.D., Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute/University of Delaware.
Robert L. Witt, M.D., Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute/University of Delaware.
Mary C. Farach-Carson, Ph.D., Rice University/Bioscience Research Collaborative.
Xinqiao Jia, Ph.D., University of Delaware.
Padma P. Srinivasan, Ph.D., Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute/University of Delaware.
Daniel A. Harrington, Ph.D., Rice University/Bioscience Research Collaborative.
Matthew P. Hoffman, Ph.D., National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research.
Michael Passineau, Ph.D., Allegheny Health System.
Isabelle Lombaert, Ph.D., University of Michigan.
Vaishali Patel, Ph.D., National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research.
Tugba Odzemir, Ph.D., University of Delaware
Danielle Wu, Ph.D., Rice University/Bioscience Research Collaborative.
Programa de Investigación sobre el Cáncer
Centro de Oncología e Instituto de Investigación Helen F. Graham
4701 Ogletown-Stanton Road, Newark, DE 19713 indicaciones