Cancer Community Resources
In addition to the many Christiana Care support groups and services that are available to cancer patients, survivors and their families, we can provide assistance in locating appropriate services and programs within the community and throughout the region. The following list of community services is subject to change without notice, and we recommend that you call the contact phone number to confirm before attending. For more information, or for assistance in connecting to support services within the community, call 302-623-4500.
General cancer resources
- Cancer Care Connection is a nonprofit service organization that helps people make informed decisions through professional coaching and personalized information and resource connections.
- Cancer Education Support Group meets every fourth Monday, 7 p.m., at Kent and Queen Anne’s Hospital, 1st floor classroom, Chestertown, MD. Call 410-778-3300 ext. 2381.
- Coping With Cancer support group meets the last Tuesday of each month except November and Decemberm 7 to 8 p.m., at Regional Cancer Center, 509 Idlewild Ave., Easton, MD. Call 410-822-1000 ext. 5738.
- Kent & Queen Anne’s Hospital Cancer Counseling Program, Chestertown, MD: Call 410-778-3300 ext. 2381.
- Support Group for Women With Cancer meets every third Tuesday, 7 to 7 p.m., at Union Cancer Center, 111 W. High Street, Suite 104, Elkton, MD. Call 410-398-4000 ext. 1729.
- Us Too support group for cancer survivors and families meets at the Health Education Center Board Room, Memorial Hospital, Easton, MD. Call Urology Associates, 410-822-5552.
- The Wellness Community of Delaware is dedicated to helping people with cancer and their loved ones by providing free, professionally led programs of emotional support, education and hope as an integral part of conventional medical treatment.
Bereavement, grief and parent/child services
- Candlelighters offers support for parents of children who have cancer. Group meets every fourth Wednesday, 7 to 9 p.m. (pizza at 6 p.m.), at Alfred I. DuPont Hospital for Children. Call 302-657-4553.
- Compassionate Friends is for people dealing with death or loss. Call 302-376-0300 (Wilmington chapter) or 302-226-1465 (Lewes chapter).
- Delaware Hospice offers support for individuals who are living with a serious illness, caring for someone who is ill or grieving the loss of a loved one.
- Supporting Kidds provides a compassionate pathway to healing for grieving children and their families, and to empower the community to support them in the grieving process.
- Ronald McDonald House of Delaware provides a safe, affordable “home away from home” to families of seriously or chronically ill or injured children who are being treated at area hospitals and operates 3 Ronald McDonald Family Rooms within pediatric units of hospitals across Delaware.
Breast cancer resources
- Breast Cancer Support Group meets the third Thursday of each month, 10 a.m., at Union Hospital Cancer Center, 111 W. High St., Suite 104, Elkton, MD. Call 410-398-4000 ext. 1729.
- The Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition Inc. empowers our community by raising awareness of breast health issues through outreach, education and support services, in order to facilitate the early detection and treatment of breast cancer.
- Mid-Shore Breast Cancer Forum meets the 4th Wednesday each month except November and December, 7 p.m., at Regional Cancer Center, 509 Idlewild Ave., Easton, MD. Call 410-822-4242.
- Sisters On a Mission offers support for African American women with breast cancer. Meetings are every fourth Monday, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Wilmington. Call Cynthia Church at 302-475-0687.
- Young Survivors in Action provides support for women under 40 who have been diagnosed with breast cancer. Call 302-778-1102.
- Wilmington Delaware Ostomy Association support group for those with an ostomy, current or post-treatment for cancer or other conditions. Meets at Helen F. Graham Cancer Center & Research Institute. Call Frank House at 302-463-1687.
Ovarian cancer resources
- Delaware Ovarian Cancer Foundation’s mission is to increase ovarian cancer awareness and education about ovarian cancer among women and healthcare professionals in Delaware and the surrounding vicinity, to support women affected by ovarian cancer, and to promote research in the fight against this deadly women’s disease. For more information call 302-998-6889.
Prostate cancer resources
- First State Prostate Support Group is for patients and family members of current or post-treatment prostate-cancer patients. Meetings are the first Wednesday of each month, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., at 92 Reads Way, Suite 205, New Castle, DE, 19720. Call 302-324-4227 or 800-304-0779.