Heart Failure Program
Each year, more than half a million Americans are diagnosed with heart failure. Almost 1 million people each year are hospitalized for heart failure and related problems.
The nationally recognized specialists at Christiana Care provide innovative care for people with heart failure, effectively managing symptoms and slowing the progression of the disease. We offer the most effective treatments for heart failure, based on the most current medical guidelines and scientific research.
The Heart Failure Program at Christiana Care has attained advanced certification by the Joint Commission. This means our heart failure program provides the next generation of heart failure care and has met and seeks to maintain The Joint Commission’s high standards for providing heart failure care.
Our program offers:
- Complete cardiac assessment.
- A team of experienced specialists who work together across multiple disciplines to provide you with outstanding care.
- Consultation and follow-up care with our physician, who is board-certified in advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology.
- Individualized appointments with a nurse practitioner who is experienced in the care of heart failure patients.
- Education about lifestyle changes to help you manage your disease.
- Education about your medications and how they work.
- Access to the latest research and clinical trials.
- Access to the region’s top doctors.
- Convenient heart failure outpatient center.
- Telehealth technology, as appropriate.
Heart failure care navigators
Heart failure care navigators are specially trained nurses who help patients and their families understand their heart-failure diagnosis and follow the care provided by their doctor. In the hospital, care navigators advocate on behalf of patients to ensure that their care needs are fully met and they are able to return home as soon as possible.
Your heart failure care navigator will help you to understand and plan your care. This includes coordinating referrals regarding insurance, transportation and other issues with case managers and social workers. She will help you to monitor your progress, and she will act as a liason between your and your doctors.
Specialists working together for you
Your care begins with your initial assessment and continues whether you are in the hospital or at home, with follow-up evaluations and long-term disease management. Our program engages a team of board-certified specialists who will work together to ensure that your care is coordinated efficiently and effectively. These include specialists in:
- Cardiology, interventional cardiology and cardiovascular imaging.
- Emergency medicine.
- Internal medicine.
- Cardiac assessment for obstetrics patients.
- Cardiovascular surgery.
- Pulmonary medicine.
- Psychology and social services.
Heart Failure Program
Center for Heart & Vascular Health
4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road, Newark, DE 19718 directions